If Windows Security (Microsoft Defender) raises Error 8024402f, Failed to update protection definition to Windows 11, and then follow this message to resolve the issue successfully. Several users have complained that they received error code 8024402f while installing security signature updates on Windows Security or Windows Denedfer.
When triggered, you will likely see the following Windows security error message:
Failed to update protection definition.
Error code: 8024402f
An unexpected problem occurred while checking for updates. For more information on installing or troubleshooting updates, see Help and Support.
This error appears to be exclusive to Windows 11, so don’t confuse it with the generic error code 8024402f that occurs on older versions of Windows.
Now, if you are facing the same error that is preventing you from installing new security signatures on Windows 11, try the fixes that we have mentioned in this article. Before that, let’s try to understand the scenario that can trigger the 8024402f security definition update error on Windows 11.
What causes Windows Security Definition update error 8024402f on Windows 11?
After analyzing the error reports, here are some of the possible causes that can trigger this error:
- This can happen if you do not have enough space on your disk to install updates. So, clean up some space to download and install updates.
- You have set wrong date and time on your system, it can also cause the current error. So make sure the date and time are correct.
- Some issues with the Windows Update service could also be one of the reasons behind the error. You can try disabling the service for a while to resolve the issue, if and only the scenario is applicable.
- The error can be triggered if some dependency services are disabled.
- Other reasons could be that Windows security is disabled or you are dealing with system file corruption.
Depending on which scenario is best for you, you can try the fixes below to resolve the issue.
Fix Windows Security Definition Update error 8024402f on Windows 11
Here are the methods to fix error 8024402f while installing new security updates on Windows 11/10:
- Make sure you have enough space.
- Set the correct date and time.
- Temporarily turn off the Windows Update service.
- Make sure Windows security is enabled.
- Make sure each dependency is enabled.
- Perform a clean install or a repair install.
1]Make sure you have enough space
One of the potential causes of this error may be that your PC is running out of disk space to install security updates. Windows Security requires approximately 16 GB of free space to install definition updates for Windows Defender or Windows Firewall. Therefore, the first thing to do is to make sure that you have enough space on the operating system drive to install security updates without any issues.
You can open File Explorer using Win + E keyboard shortcut and then navigate to C drive. Select and right click on C drive and select Properties option. In the Properties window, go to the General tab and find the amount of Free space you have on the player. If it has more than 16 GB of free space, so much the better. Otherwise, you will need to free up space to install updates.
There are several methods to free up space on your system. You can use the built-in utility of Windows called Disk Cleanup Utility to remove temporary and junk files. Free software like Comet (Managed Disk Cleanup) or Cleanmgr + can also be used for the same. Apart from that, try to remove duplicate files to get the required free space on your PC.
If you have enough disk space to install the updates and you still get the same error code, there must be some other underlying cause for the error. So you can move on to the next fix to resolve the error.
Related: Resolve definition update issues for Microsoft Defender.
2]Set the correct date and time
In some cases, you may encounter this error code due to a date and time inconsistency. The Microsoft server used to download and install Windows security updates may reject connection with your PC due to an incorrect date and time. So, try to write down your date and time and if they are disabled then chances are that is the cause of the error. If the scenario is applicable, you should be able to correct the error by updating the correct date and time on your system.
Here are the steps to set the correct date and time in Windows:
- First open the settings using the keyboard shortcut Win + I, then navigate to the Time and language> Date and time section.
- Now activate the toggle associated with the Set the time automatically andSet time zone automatically option.
To note: Make sure the internet is turned on to force the correct date and time.
- Then restart your PC and the date and time should not be set correctly.
You can now try to install the security updates and see if the error is fixed now.
If this scenario does not apply to you, move on to the next potential fix.
Read: List of Microsoft Defender error codes and solutions.
3]Temporarily disable the Windows Update service
If both of the above solutions didn’t work for you, the error may be due to issues with the Windows Update service. You can try to temporarily disable this service as it will not be used to install definition updates – a sub-service will be used. It is kind of a workaround and has proven to be effective for some affected users. So you can also try it out and see if it works for you or not.
To disable Windows Update service, you can follow the steps below:
- First, bring up the Run dialog box using the Win + R keyboard shortcut and enter services.msc inside.
- Now in the Services window, scroll down and locate the Windows Update service.
- Then tap on Windows Update service and right click on it.
- In the contextual menu, select the option Shut down.
- After that minimize the Services window and go to Windows Security to install the security updates. See if the error is now fixed.
Whether or not this method fixes the error, you must re-enable the Windows Update service. Go to the Services window, right click on Windows Update and select the Start option to re-enable it.
4]Make sure Windows security is enabled
If you get the same error code while installing Windows Security Updates, make sure Windows Security is enabled on your PC. Users of the PRO, Enterprise, or Education edition can easily do this using the Group Policy Editor. Let’s see how.
- First, open Run using Win + R hotkey, type gpedit.msc in it, and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to launch the Local Group Policy Editor window as an administrator. Tap Yes at the UAC prompt.
- Now navigate to the following address in the Local Group Policy Editor:
Computer Configuration > Administrative templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus
- In this location, find the policy called Disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in the right panel and double click on it.
- In the policy options, make sure it is set to Deactivated Where Not configured. If not, adjust the settings accordingly.
- Then press the Apply button> OK to apply the policy.
- Finally, restart your PC and try to install the security signature which previously gave you error code 8024402f.
This solution has worked for some affected users, so give it a try.
5]Make sure each dependency is enabled
If you are still getting the same error code, you can also try to make sure that all the dependencies required for installing the Windows Security Update are enabled. If not enabled, it may trigger the error. Here are the services you need to check:
- Background intelligent transfer service
- COM + event system
- DCOM Server Process Launcher
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
So, open the Services window (like we did in method (3)), then find each of the above services and make sure they are enabled. If it is not activated, right click on a service and select the Start option to activate it. Repeat this for each service we mentioned above.
Additionally, you should set the startup type for each of the above mentioned services to Automatic. For that, you can follow the steps below:
- Right-click on a service and select Properties.
- Choose the Startup type drop-down option and select the Automatique option.
If the problem persists, try the next fix.
6]Perform a clean install or a repair install
If you have tried all of the above methods and the error is still not fixed, there is a good chance that the problem is due to intense corruption present on your system which is affecting the update component of Windows Security. In this case, you can try to perform a clean install or a repair install. In a clean install, you may lose your data present on the operating system drive. During the repair installation, your system files will be refreshed without affecting your data. So choose the way you prefer and see if that fixes the error for you.
How do I resolve a Windows update?
The easiest way to resolve a Windows Update error is to run the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter provided in Windows 11/10. Open Settings, go to System> Troubleshoot> Other troubleshooting utilities, and run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
Now read: Error 0x8007007f while using Windows 11 installation wizard.